I love to eat eggs, primarily because they are one of the only foods that are perfectly acceptable to eat at any time of the day. This recipe combines the richness of eggs and cream cheese with savory green onions, which makes for a nice change of pace from your typical scrambled egg preparation. It’s the kind of breakfast that I would want to order if we were eating out, but sometimes it’s easier just to stay at home and make it myself!
I like a stronger onion flavor in this dish, but if you prefer a milder flavor, switch from scallions to chives. Also, if you prefer, you could certainly add other herbs that you have on hand into your scrambled eggs, i.e. thyme, tarragon, oregano.. just something to change things things up a bit. For a quick grab n go breakfast, I’ve cooked the eggs cooked as described, but served on a toasted whole wheat English muffin (or sprouted multi-grain bread such as Alvarado St Bakery) with a slice of seared canadian bacon. Yummm. I’m feeling inspired to make breakfast for dinner now Enjoy!
- 8 eggs
- Splash of milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh scallions, chopped (plus additional for garnish)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into pieces
- Whisk the eggs with a splash of milk, the scallions, and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Preheat a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the saucepan is hot, melt the butter and add the whisked eggs.
- As the eggs begin to set, use a wooden spatula to move the cooked eggs around the edges towards the center, and allow the uncooked eggs to move around the edges. Continue moving and folding the eggs until they are mostly cooked through.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until melted and incorporated into the scrambled eggs.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with additional chives or scallions for garnish.
- Serve immediately.
Sharing is caring