This is salad is special. It’s scrumptious. It’s delicious. My mouth is watering just thinking of it!
It wins the jackpot on so many fronts. Healthy wholesome spinach? Check. Crispy delicious bacon? Check. A perfectly cooked soft boiled egg? Check. Sweet honey and caramelized shallots? Yes, they’re in there. And those ingredients work together to create a perfectly balanced and salad, worthy of any special occasion lunch or dinner.
The real shining star of this salad is the bacon dressing. It’s warm, thick, rich, sweet, salty, and vinegary, and when it combines with the creamy egg yolks, something magical happens. It transforms simple spinach greens into a luscious and delectable treat; you almost forget that you’re eating a salad!
I typically eat this meal as a single portion size, however the ingredients can easily be modified and adjusted for larger servings. I’ve also slightly modified the recipe over the years, using shallots in place of sliced onion, and occasionally using red wine vinegar in place of apple cider vinegar, so feel free to experiment around and use whatever ingredients that you have on hand. I hope you enjoy this special treat salad!
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 slices of bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups spinach greens
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to boil and gently lower the egg into the water. Boil for 5½ minutes, then remove from boiling water and shock, by placing the egg into ice water.
- Meanwhile, put the bacon into a large skillet and cook over medium heat until the fat is rendered, approximately 4-5 minutes. Scoop the bacon out of the pan and set aside, reserving the fat in the pan.
- Add the shallot and garlic and cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the honey and vinegar and continue cooking until the onion is caramelized.
- Add the spinach to the pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss with tongs until it is slightly wilted, approximately 30 seconds (Optional). Alternately, you can drizzle the warm vinaigrette over the spinach leaves and toss to coat, which will allow the leaves to stay crisper and more intact.
- Halve the eggs and place on top of the salad, season to taste with any additional pepper or salt, and serve immediately.
Sharing is caring